Click Here to Subscribe: http://Bit.ly/ThomasVid
Extremely Discounted Pricing on Thomas’ Real Salt Bundle:
My Website: http://ThomasDeLauer.com
Cholesterol and Heart Disease: Should You Worry About High LDL Levels?:
Ketogenic Dieting May Increase Your Cholesterol: Don’t Panic:
Butter & Saturated Fat Benefits | Is Butter is Bad for You?:
Special Thanks to my team and Nicholas Norwitz – Oxford Ketone PhD Researcher and Harvard Med Student – for working diligently on research as well!
Is High LDL Cholesterol Total NONSENSE? – Thomas DeLauer
There’s two reasons why your cholesterol is high. One of them is because you’re probably burning fat and right now you probably think I’m crazy for saying that, but I have tons of scientific literature and I have legitimate science to lay in front of you, so you know that this truly could be the case.
The second reason is that your insulin might be high, or your blood sugar might be high, and it’s affecting your cholesterol. One thing that is not affecting your cholesterol in a negative way, is being on a lower carb, high fat diet, because that’s definitely not where the science links. We’re going to break this all down.
First things first. Cholesterol. Cholesterol is vital. It is made by the liver. Only 15% of our total cholesterol in our body comes from our diet. The rest is all made by the liver. 85% made within our bodies. Guess what? If we consume more dietary cholesterol, our liver produces less, and vice versa, because our body’s always trying to keep a balance of cholesterol.
Cholesterol is not the problem. In fact, just that you know, cholesterol is responsible for so many things that keep you lean and healthy. Cholesterol builds vitamin D, cholesterol builds testosterone, estrogen, all these other hormones, and it also builds our cellular membranes. It is very, very vital.
LDL and HDL are not good or bad. HDL, which is known as the good cholesterol and LDL, which is known as the bad cholesterol, aren’t even cholesterols. Say that again. They’re not cholesterols.
They are carriers of cholesterol, but they also carry other things. HDL, which is the good cholesterol is said to be good because it carries cholesterol back to the liver to get processed. LDL, or bad cholesterol, is bad because it delivers cholesterol from the liver to other cells that need cholesterol.
Think of it like this, and Dr. Dave Feldman actually broke this down really well in some of his other videos. Basically we have the boat. That is the lipoprotein, whether HDL or LDL.
That’s the boat. Triglycerides are the passengers. The precious cargo. The ultimate goal, what we are carrying. Cholesterol is like a life jacket. It’s just there. It’s important, you need that life jacket, but it’s not the actual critical cargo. It’s the triglycerides that are the critical cargo here. Then does that really answer the question of LDL being bad or not?
What happens is when LDL reacts sugar in the bloodstream, a process called glycation occurs. Glycation is where the cholesterol and the sugar come together and turn into a harder, denser lipoprotein.
Normally this LDL carries cholesterol and triglycerides and it floats down its little river through the ocean and it docks at the cell. Nice and easily it docks and it lets off it’s simple cholesterol and it lets off its triglycerides. If that boat reacts with sugar, glycation occurs and it becomes oxidized.
That changes the form of the boat. Now the boat is kind of demented and it can’t dock anymore. What happens is you end up with a bunch of LDL floating around because it has nowhere to go because no dock will accept it.
Most primary care physicians are just looking at a standard lipid profile. There’s good news. If you do just get a standard lipid profile, you can do a little bit of your own investigating.
Here’s what you do. If your HDL cholesterol is normal, within a decent range, that’s good. Then if your triglycerides are low, you’re in a good place. If your HB A1C is reasonable, like less than 5.6, A1C is your tailing measurement of your blood sugar over like 90 days.
That’s the simplest way. If all your other numbers are in check, your A1C, your sugar, your HDL, and your triglycerides, if those are all in check, I wouldn’t be too concerned with the LDL being high because chances are it’s the nice fluffy LDL that is doing its job. If those other numbers are off, you might have some cause for concern and you need to talk to your doctor.
Nicholas Norwitz – Oxford Ketone PhD Researcher and Harvard Med Student: